About Kings Worthy Parish
Facts & Figures:
Kings Worthy and Abbots Worthy lie 2 miles (3.2km) to the north of Winchester, on the edge of the chalk lands of the Hampshire Downs.
Abbots Worthy is a much smaller village, lying to the east of Kings Worthy and north of the River Itchen.
The two villages became part of the same parish in the 1830s. Kings Worthy is a mixed rural / semi-urban downland parish, with parts of the village, to its south east boundary, designated as a 'Local Gap' in Policy CE.2 of the Winchester District Local Plan (Adopted 2006).
A Local Gap is a locally important area of undeveloped land and open countryside designated by the Local Planning Authority as a means of conserving the separate identity of smaller settlements at risk of merging together and becoming one.
The older parts of Kings Worthy, around Church Lane and London Road are designated a Settlement Conservation Area and the whole of Abbots Worthy was designated a Countryside Conservation Area in 1985, by Winchester City Council, and defined in Policies HE4-HE8 of the WDLP (Adopted 2006).
During weekdays Kings Worthy and Abbots Worthy have a quiet feel, due to a large proportion of their population working outside of the area.
No of Households: 1917 2010) Based on Hampshire County Council Small Area Population Forecasts 2008
Population: 4513 2010) Based on Hampshire County Council Small Area Population Forecasts 2008
District Council: Winchester City Council
Electoral Ward: Kings Worthy
County Council: Hampshire County Council
Electoral Division: Itchen Valley
Parliamentary Constituency: Winchester
European Parliamentary Constituency: South East England
Also see: What We Do